My favorite travel accessory is my GoPro Action Camera! I am seriously obsessed with it. Not only is it such a cool and unique way to capture photos, but you can get really creative with your shots and videos. You can mount it on just about anything to get whatever angle, and it is waterproof! For the past couple of years, the model I used was the GoPro HERO+, and a few months ago I purchased the newest model, which I love, the GoPro HERO5 Black.
When you purchase a GoPro, you only get the camera, a battery pack, a charging cable, and a few mounts. You will need to purchase the accessories to properly mount the GoPro and take your videos and images, and a memory card.
This, clearly, can get pricy! I am on a student budget and always looking for the best deals without compromising quality. Over the years I have purchased accessories from different vendors – some have lasted and are still in mint condition, some have broken really easily. Since you’ll be using your action camera in possible “rough” situations (i.e. mounted on a bike, on a surfboard or skateboard, underwater, in the ocean/sea, while walking/running/doing sports, etc.) you do not want your accessory to break and face the possibility of camera damage because of it. You’ve spent a lot of money on the camera and protecting it should be priority number one!
Captured by my GoPro Hero5 Black
Now, you can definitely get very “techy” with the GoPro. There are drones, WiFi remotes and operated accessories, and so much on the market to explore. I, however, am keeping this post to what I think are the most essential items! Here is a list of my favorite accessories for the GoPro action cam, superior quality and affordability kept in mind:
- GoPro Floating Hand Grip: if you only buy one accessory for your GoPro, you must get a hand grip! Its an easy, durable, and compact way to hold your GoPro and get all the essential shots. It also helps stabilization of the camera when filming. My favorite hand grip is the S Wolf Floating Handgrip for GoPro. It floats in water so you do not ever have to worry about your camera sinking. It has a wrist strap to attach, it is light weight, and provides a perfect grip. If taken to a salt water environment, like all metal objects, be sure to rinse with fresh water and dry to prevent rusting! The more you take care of your items, the longer they will last. This works for all GoPro Camera models – I currently use it with my Hero5 Black.
Get it on Amazon Here: S Wolf Floating Hand Grip for Gopro Hero4 Session/hero4/3+/3/2/1
- GoPro Floating Extension Pole: this is the best “selfie stick” for your GoPro! The GoPole brand is phenomenal, and this pole extends from 14-24 inches. It comes with a remote clip (if you choose to purchase the camera’s WiFi remote control), and has a wrist strap. Not to mention, it floats! Again, if taken to a salt water environment, like all metal objects, be sure to rinse with fresh water and dry to prevent rusting! I use the GoPole to get more in my shot.
Get it on Amazon here: GoPole GPE-10 EVO 14-24″ Floating Extension Pole for GoPro Cameras (Transparent)
- GoPro Tripod: this is hands down the best tripod ever! Not only can you lock your camera onto it, but you can also lock your GoPole extender, and your hand grips for the exact level of shot you want! It is so versatile; it can lock into 6 positions and the legs have a no slip grip.
Get it on Amazon here: GoPole BASE – Bi-Directional Compact Tripod for GoPro Cameras
- SanDisk Extreme micro SDHC Memory Card: this memory card is recommended by the GoPro brand itself in order to adequately capture the quality of your videos and photos. I have the 32 GB and have never run out of storage, but I always upload my media every few days of using it and clear the card!
Get it on Amazon here: SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSQXVF-032G-GN6MA) [Newest Version]
- GoPro Head Strap: go hands free with a head strap! This head strap by Amazon basics is super affordable and does the job. I’ve used it while skiing, snowboarding, playing water polo, etc. – the possibilities are endless!
Get it on Amazon here: AmazonBasics Head Strap Camera Mount for GoPro
To check out my latest GoPro action photography, visit my Instagram or search my personal hashtag: #NGgoespro on Instagram!
Get the Camera:
Don’ have a GoPro but want to get started? Start by choosing the right camera for you! There are many models to choose from, all at different prices. This is the camera I currently use: GoPro HERO5 Black
Ready to commit to the camera and the essential accessories? Check out this amazing money-saving bundle: GoPro HERO5 Black + SanDisk Ultra 32GB Micro SDHC Memory Card + Hard Case + Chest Strap Mount – Head Strap Mount + Flexible Tripod + Extendable Monopod + Floating Handle + Great Value Bundle
To check out my latest GoPro action photography, search my personal hashtag: #NGgoespro on Instagram!
Get out there with GoPro to capture + share your world 🙂